Friday 18 April 2008

S(n)O(w) what about this winter?

Where did it go? With all the talk about changing currents and mini ice ages why wasn't there piles of snow everywhere through the winter months.

I missed most of the snow this month and just saw a little on the recycling bins for the newspapers on me way back from doing the shoping in the afternoon. Is it possible that I was missing snow all through the winter.

Well, no, I wasn't. There has been very little snow and what a mild winter ... so why is everyone talking about mini ice ages because we've had a couple of days of snow in April? lol.

Could it be, if it wasn't April 1 .. that the tidals have moved the months about a bit and everyone just thought it was April 1st because the weather is so strange. And, that's one thing u can say for sure .. this winter has not been what u would expect.

It's been very mild. It has been very good for me cause it's meant that I've been able to get around a bit .. even on the days with snow this month. - degrees C at night to let the snow settle at times and then temperatures high enough to melt four inches or so of snow during the day. There were temperatures of - degrees at night and then around 8 or 9 degrees C during the day that week!!!!!!!!!

I said to someone that I couldn't remember it being like this before ... having such icy nights followed by such relatively warm days. So warm that so much snow had all but vanished by the time I went out ... well, by the time I got up ... which wasn't that late that day. Amazing!!!!

So, what are our little tidals doing you have to ask yourself. What on earth was going on that week? Freezing cold at night. Brrrrrrrr. Warmish during the day. Hmmmm ..................

Ofcourse, the answer to that, here, is I don't know, cause I haven't asked anyone nor have I been following this years climate change debate. Not only haven't I been the blogging lemuure but I also haven't been reading much the last year or so ... some days I have been reading .. some days I've just been too tired.

Someone told me a week or so ago that the ice is still melting much faster than it was expected to .. but that people are still divided about what this means in the long run.

I would think that the reason for the ice melting faster than expected might be that climate change doesn't just involve the chemicals going into the atmosphere from what we're doing but also the natural rhythms of changes in the earths climate and the two together make it harder to predict..



http://peopleandplanet.net/doc.php?id=3246



http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22200767




The truth is as I mentioned when I first started blogging is that there are going to be many surprises .. there's no model that can really account for everything in the changing biosphere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosphere

But, having said that, there is a real result from having the models and that is that the they are pointing us in the right direction .. though not all the effects are predicted from all the causes all the time.